Monday, April 13, 2009

And So It Goes

People have asked me, "Mya, why is it you're reading 'An Old Fashioned Girl' as an e-book?". First of all, let me say, I like both types of books.

E-books can be wonderfully convenient, especially when you want to carry more than one book with you. Plus, e-book publishers tend to be more open minded when it comes to new talent. It's far easier to find a new writer via e-books than on a bookshelf in a retailer. There's also the fact that, when a book is a certain age, it is harder to find. Sometimes even the library has trouble finding them. However, it's usually housed somewhere on the internet, ready to read through your computer, palm pilot, blackberry, etc.

Paper books are pure pleasure. Sometimes there's nothing better than cracking the spine of a new book, breathing in that fresh "paper" scent, and settling back in your bed to read. Or your bath. Or the couch. There's just something about a book in your hand and the feel of the weight in your hands. Paper print books are usually easier to handle than e-books; you can bend and fold, cascade the pages, etc. And, for the most part, they are easier on the eyes. Though e-book readers are getting better about softer lighting, it can still irritate the sight.

There is definitely a place in the world for both types of books. I don't think one will totally obliterate the other, which is a great thing. They are like siblings, with each balancing the other out.

Now, as far as the paper book version of the Louisa May Alcott book I'm reading...I have a confession. It's shocking. I hope you're sitting down.

I didn't have a library card. Yes, you read correctly. Neither my kids or I had library cards until this afternoon. To be honest, we never had the need. We've faithfully supported our local mom and pop bookstores (the best gifts my hubby gives me are the gift certificates to the used book store). The kids have used the school library for some things, and for others we purchase or borrow from family. All of that changed with the 100 book challenge. As much as I love my corner bookstore (they are on my speed dial, literally), I know they aren't going to have Aynd Rand, or Sylvia Platt, or even the Bronte sisters. These are things I'm going to have to get at the library.

So this morning, in cold rain and a wild wind storm (ah, spring!), I trudged along with my daughter to the library to get cards. She spent a glorious hour reveling in all the books (she can't get away from her genes) and picked out three books. I had been told when I called that they would have to order "An Old Fashioned Girl" for me from another branch. They could only do that, of course, once I had my card. So with kid books in hand, we happily marched up to the counter. And guess what? Their computer system was down. Yep, two lightning strikes, one right after the other, had just downed their system. We couldn't check out. We couldn't get cards. We were devistated. But we were promised they stayed open until 8:00pm, and we could come back. You know we did, with my son in tow. He found a book, too, and even put one on order as well.

My sojourn into the public library system wasn't an easy one, but in the end, I'm happy we did it. Now I'll have Louisa May Alcott in my hands in a matter of days. But until then, I'll continue to enjoy the on-line version. I'll post a critique when I'm able, but so far, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Wish me luck, and I'll wish you luck, too, on your own personal list of books.

No comments: