Sunday, May 24, 2009

"Anne of Green Gables" Shelved

I can not get into this book right now. I can't explain why, or why it's been so difficult for me to get past the second chapter. For whatever reason I simply can not rouse myself to read Anne right now. Too many "life lesson" stories lately? Not sure. But this is one I'll have to pick up later because I am determined to read it...eventually.

Meanwhile, I'm juggling "Middlemarch" and "The Spy Who..." pretty well. I try not to read them back to back; it would be a little too jarring. I'm hoping to have more time through the coming week to read than I did this past week. Family obligations always come first, but in the coming days they are going to be obligations that are closer to home.

Oh, and I had a light bulb moment when thinking about "Middlemarch". Again, not sure why it hadn't occurred to me before, but I suddenly realized that Eliot had deliberately made these people twits. Maybe as I get further into the book my suspicion will be confirmed, but considering when it was written, it is a definite possibility. I'm trying not to read any sort of reviews regarding any of the books I have on my list (other than FitG reviews), because I want to come at the stories with an open mind and no voices in my head. This is why I can't tell you for certain if this book was meant to be a bit critical of the way certain people thought and acted in that age. I suppose I'll just have to see.

No comments: