Monday, May 18, 2009

"The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" Review

Anne Bronte is the sister of the seemingly more famous Charlotte (“Wuthering Heights”), but she most definitely carves out a niche of her own with this book. I thoroughly enjoyed this cautionary tale about a woman who allowed her heart to overrule her common sense. The flow of the words was easier to adjust to than I’d imagined, one of the things that worries me when starting period stories, and it was very easy for me to “hear” the characters in my head. The imagery was nicely woven in, and even when it was obvious that she was describing certain things, it was easy enough to read through (I don’t care for information dumping in a book, even when it’s descriptive).

The first thing that surprised me was the fact that this book is written in two ways: first, as a long letter from one man to his good friend, second, as diary entries from a young lady. I wasn’t expecting this at all, but the way it was done was very interesting. I was so caught in the story that whenever the recipient of the letter was mentioned, a statement made to him or a question asked, it was slightly jarring. The diary entries had me looking at dates, calculating times, figuring out how many weeks had passed in between, without even consciously knowing it. And those missing pieces of time definitely made a difference for me when I read what the young lady had written in the newest entry.

“The Tenant of Wildfell Hall” would have most definitely been thought of as scandalous in its day. Alcoholism, abuse, adultery, whispers of divorce, illegitimacy…it’s enough to shock a reader of the time. I found myself imaging a woman sneaking the book into her house, then secretly reading it while it was hidden in a book of Shakespeare prose. But the whole idea of the story is definitely supported by these shocking things. After all, what happens and had happened (before the opening of the book) is meant to caution people about letting their desires roll right over their common sense. Yes, some of the things that are revealed seem a heavy price to pay for making an emotional choice (a choice made without any real thought to the practical mind), but it sure makes for great reading. Plus, it does drive the point home.

I’m a sucker for sappy endings, so rest assured there is one at the end of this book. While the story is angst filled, emotionally wrenching at times, and full of great heartstring pulling moments, it is worth getting to the last chapter. No, “The Tenant of Wildfell Hall” isn’t as gothic as “Wuthering Heights”, but then, it didn’t need to be. Sometimes the most heartfelt, life altering stories are set in the sunny days of real life. A definite must read for anyone who enjoys a good life lesson love story.

Just a quick note: this book does surround the whole idea of God, living as God would want, and general church doctrine. Not a problem for me, but in case you strongly object to God, church, or the Bible, you should be aware that this is a main theme running throughout.

2 comments:

moonrat said...

dang. you made me really want to read this. i love reading *about* the brontes, and anne's life was certainly interesting. but i guess i've definitely sidelined her.

thanks for this thoughtful review.

Mya Barrett said...

I'm glad you're thinking of picking her up! I was really very surprised that I enjoyed the book as much as I did. No, it's not as sophisticated as some of the romances that are out today, but it's tragic in its own way. Plus there's a happy ending! Hopefully if you do decide to read this you won't think I steered you wrong.