Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fitzgerald Shocks Me

I started reading "Tender is the Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. What can I say? I am shocked by how interesting this book is turning out to be. Again, I haven't read a synopsis nor opinions regarding this book, so it's all a surprise to me. And what a surprise!

While the descriptions can, yes, drone on (I'm beginning to think this is the style of the time), it's still not as dry as you might fear. In all actuality, it's quite scandalous when you consider the time frame. And yet it starts of innocuously enough, with a young woman and her mother arriving in a small town along the coast of Italy. In fact, most of the things that happen should be, and could be, ordinary enough, except that as the reader you begin to understand the undertones, even when the heroine doesn't.

I'm really enjoying this book so far. I'm waiting to read my Susan Hill story until I've finished this one, because I don't feel as if I need a break in between the chapters of Tender is the Night. Here's hoping the rest of the story is as good as the first half!

No comments: